Home       Links       Contact
1887-88       1891-92       1892       1902-03       1904

 London Summer Season, 1892 

A party of Indians, reported to be fifty-seven in number, sailed from New York, on board the Persian Monarch, on Wednesday, 20th April 1892, berthing at the Royal Albert Dock, London, on Wednesday, 4th May. Regrettably, the passenger list does not appear to have been preserved in either location. These new arrivals replenished the fourteen or so Lakota survivors of the 1891-92 season who had been more or less left to their own devices in Glasgow, pending removal to London, along with other remaining personnel.

Colonel Cody, meanwhile, had sailed from New York, on board the Etruria, on Saturday, 23rd April 1892, arriving at Liverpool one week later, on the 30th. He travelled alone, or, more precisely, in the intimate company, once again, of Miss Viola Clemmons.

Sun’kmanitu Han’ska
(Long Wolf)

The 1892 summer season brought a welcome return to Earl’s Court, London, the scene of his triumphs of five years earlier, opening on Saturday, 7th May, this time under the auspices of the International Horticultural Exhibition.

The production, for the first three weeks of the season, reverted briefly to the familiar Wild West format, before a troupe of ten ‘Cossacks’ (actually ethnic Georgians) made their debut on Wednesday, 1st June. A band of Argentinian Gauchos followed on Thursday, 23rd. Thus, the foundations were laid for the show’s later format, Buffalo Bill’s Wild West & Congress of Rough Riders of the World.

Meanwhile, however, Long Wolf had died of an illness in the West London Hospital on 11th June 1892 and was buried in Brompton Cemetery on the 13th.

Star Ghost Dog, a little girl aged just twenty months, was the second Indian fatality of the season. She died of pneumonia on 13th August and Long Wolf’s grave was re-opened to receive her mortal remains on the 15th. Both were exhumed in 1997 and repatriated to South Dakota for re-burial. She was the fifth and final Indian from Buffalo Bill’s camp to die and be buried in Brompton Cemetery during the years 1887-92.

The show continued to run until until Wednesday, 12th October. Those performers yet remaining at end of season sailed home on board the Mohawk, departing London on Saturday, 15th October 1892 and arriving at New York on Thursday, 27th. Colonel Cody, meanwhile, slipped out of London on the night train to Liverpool, on Friday, 14th. On the following day, Saturday, 15th, he sailed from Liverpool on board the Servia, arriving at New York on Monday, 24th, accompanied, as ever, by his travelling companion of choice, Viola Clemmons.

Buffalo Bill’s Wild West in England